Bi-fold doors vs Sliding doors: All you need to know
Published: 26th January 2022
There are many factors to take into consideration when choosing a bi-fold or sliding door as part of your next home improvement project. Both sets of doors create a connection from the interior of your home to the exterior, however it ultimately boils down to personal preference and budget. In this blog post we will reveal some of the key benefits to having either bi-fold or sliding doors to help you decide which may be the best option for your home.
What is a bi-fold door?
Bi-fold doors consist of several panels that are hinged together on a concealed track which fold away unobtrusively. As they allow a whole wall to be replaced with glass panels, they enable access to 100% of the aperture area.
Why choose a bi-fold door?
- Bi-fold doors are ideal for spring and summer gatherings as they seamlessly blend the interior of your home to the exterior.
- Bi-fold doors allow natural daylight to flood into your home, brightening up the darkest of spaces.
- When the bi-fold door is open, you have an unrestricted view to the rear of your property.
- By creating an architectural feature to any home, bi-fold doors are both contemporary and aesthetically pleasing.
What is a sliding door?
Sliding doors, also sometimes known as ‘sliding patio doors’, are made up of large panes of glass which work on a frictionless sliding basis on a fitted track, overlapping behind one another.
Why choose a sliding door?
- Similarly to bi-fold doors, sliding doors allow an abundance of natural light to flood into the home.
- Sliding doors allow for larger panes of glass in each panel, allowing for a less restricted, more open view when the doors are closed.
- Slightly open, half open or fully open? Sliding doors allow increased flexibility with how open you want your doors.
- If your home is smaller or if space is limited, due to their space saving configuration, sliding doors may be the better option as they do not project outwards.
Our bi-fold and patio doors
Both bi-fold and sliding patio doors can modernise a property and create a focal point for the home. Furthermore, our thermally efficient bi-fold and sliding doors are fitted with energy efficient Pilkington KS glass as standard which helps to achieve high energy ratings as it is a low emissivity coated glass that reflects heat back into the room. In addition to this they let in free heat from the sun, reducing the need to switch on your heating. Available in a selection of colours, there is something to suit every property, click here to discover more.
To receive a free no-obligation quote or for more information contact our friendly team on 01484 519 677.