New vs replacement windows: which is best for my home?
Published: 14th September 2020
Changing your windows can transform the look of your home and significantly improve energy efficiency. But before choosing the perfect style, opening type and finish, it’s vital to assess whether your home needs new or replacement windows.
What’s the difference?
Before getting stuck into the benefits of both options, let’s recap on the differences between new and replacement windows.
Replacement windows - As you might expect, replacement windows are a substitute for your current windows. Typically, replacement windows are made to fit the existing window frame, allowing for a quicker and more convenient installation.
New windows - Are mainly used for newly built homes or new home constructions, such as an extension or loft conversion. New windows are fixed directly into the structure of the building, and in certain circumstances can be the best choice for replacing old windows.
Benefits of replacement windows
Listed below are some of the key benefits of opting for replacement windows for your home:
- Easy installation - replacement windows are a great option if your existing window frames are in good condition. Skilled and experienced installers like Lockwood Windows can efficiently fit your replacement windows into the existing frames within a matter of hours, minimising any inconvenience.
- Cost-effective - As replacement windows are made to fit the existing window frame, there is no need for any exterior construction which can result in more cost-effective installation.
- Improved energy efficiency - Continuing the theme of cost savings, high-quality replacement windows keep the cold outside and the warm in. With enhanced energy efficiency you can benefit from reduced energy bills.
- Made to match - When replacing the windows in your home, you can choose from a range of colours and trims to create a desirable aesthetic for your home.
Benefits of new windows
Here are some of the key advantages of new windows:
- Low maintenance - All of our new windows are guaranteed to last for 10 years and simply require a mild cleaning solution, warm water and a soft damp cloth to keep them looking fresh and flawless for years to come.
- Replace damaged frames - If your existing window frames are damaged due to rot or mould, new windows are likely to be your most viable option.
- Improved energy efficiency - Like replacement windows, new windows can significantly improve your home’s energy efficiency and help to reduce the costs of your energy bills.
- Bespoke finish - From colours and trims to handles and opening types, you can choose from our extensive range of new windows to create a unique style for your home.
How to decide
We hope this article has provided you with an overview of the advantages of replacement and new windows. If you’re still unsure about which is best for you, get in touch with our team to discuss your options in more detail.
Alternatively, if you’ve made your decision, you can contact us for a free, no obligation quote.