A beginners guide to PVCu windows
Published: 1st September 2021
If you’re considering changing the windows on your property as part of your next home improvement project, there are many options available. This blog post will discuss what PVCu windows are and highlight their key benefits.
What is a PVCu window?
PVCu is an abbreviation for poly vinyl chloride, a plastic predominantly used to manufacture consumer goods. Known for being extremely durable and robust, the “u” in the name classifies the material as “un-plasticised” meaning it is a hard plastic and not softened during the fabrication process. The versatility of this material means it’s commonly used in the production of children’s toys, shoes, windows and doors.
PVCu is often referred to as uPVC or PVC-U, however it’s worth noting that all of these refer to the same material and it’s merely a variation in acronym.
Now that we have an understanding of what PVCu is, listed below are some of their key benefits to take into consideration:
- Energy efficient – Older windows can let cold draughts and exterior noise seep through. One of the main benefits of PVCu windows is their thermal efficiency, leading to increased heat retention therefore lower energy bills and a higher energy rating.
- Longevity – PVCu windows are durable, weather-proof and highly resistant to corrosion or warping. This makes them an excellent option as they’re hard-wearing and withstand the test of time.
- Low maintenance – Due to their durability, they’re easy to maintain to keep them looking impeccable for years to come. To keep your windows looking fresh and flawless simply give them a wipe with a soapy solution and a cloth, more maintenance tips can be viewed here.
- Security – featuring state of the art locking systems, PVCu windows from Lockwood Windows offer enhanced security on your home.
- Environmentally friendly - offcuts from PVCu windows can be recycled by using third-party plastics recycling specialists. This enables the offcuts to be converted so they’re reused in production, helping keep non-biodegradable plastics out of landfill sites.
- Aesthetically pleasing – With a selection of colours available, replacing your windows can give your property character and boost its kerbside appeal.
Our PVCu windows
At Lockwood Windows, security is our main priority. To maintain our commitment to excellent quality and service our PVCu windows are reinforced by galvanised steel and are fitted with state-of-the-art locking systems to ensure maximum security against physical attack.
Whether your home is a period property or a homely cottage, our windows are available in a range of colours, all of which are foil-laminated to ensure maximum durability. Heritage colours such as Chartwell Green or Irish Oak are designed to complement traditional stone built homes whereas French grey or black can help modernise an older property, giving it a more contemporary appearance.
Furthermore, you can create a bespoke look with coloured interior trims and choose from a selection of different window handles. From chrome, to classic white there’s something to suit every requirement.
To receive a free no obligation quote contact us or to find out how your property can benefit from PVCu windows, get in touch with our friendly team on 01484 519 677.