Window & Door FAQs
Please find below a selection of questions that we are asked on a frequent basis about our windows and doors, however if you cannot find the answer you are looking for please get in touch and we will be happy to help.
Where is Lockwood Windows based?
Lockwood Windows is based in Huddersfield, however can manufacture, supply and install products for domestic and trade customers throughout Yorkshire and the UK.
What is the difference between PVCu / UPVC windows and aluminium windows?
There are a number of differences between PVCu and aluminium windows including:
- PVCu has a high thermal resistance protecting your home from external elements.
- Aluminium has a poor thermal resistance which can mean that heating your home is more expensive.
- Although aluminium is resilient it can bend and dent. Fully reinforced PVCu is tough and as a result should last longer.
- PVCu is a great insulator for both energy and sound.
What security features do door and window products from Lockwood Windows have?
Our aim is to ensure that the products we manufacture and install are as secure as possible, so we offer customers the Kommerling 070 and C70 frame system for both windows and doors, as it is both energy efficient and secure with galvanised steel reinforcement.
To find out more about security features, click here.
What colours are available for windows and doors from Lockwood Windows?
We have a choice of 10 colour options for PVCu windows and doors, and 17 colours for composite doors.
To see the full colour range available, please click here.
What are the benefits of a composite door?
Besides the fact that you will be ordering your composite door from an experienced company that manufactures to your specific requirements, the benefits of a composite door include:
- Solid hardwood timber core combined with thermo plastic skins making them extra strong and resilient to weather damage.
- Kommerling galvanised steel reinforced profiles and Astral S locking mechanism making them one of the most secure doors available.
- Extensive range of style, frame and colour options.
- Traditional, contemporary, French and stable doors available.
To find out more about composite doors click here.
Why are the doors supplied by Lockwood Windows bespoke?
Because we are able to manufacture each door at our factory in Huddersfield, we can make a door bespoke to your specific requirements - colour, design, glass - plus with our composite doors we can shape the top of your door to fit e.g. arched, round etc. We are also able to create an integrated frame including top and side lights which provides greater security.
Do you need planning permission to build a conservatory?
A conservatory is considered to be a permitted development that does not require planning permission, as long as it meets certain conditions.
For more information on these conditions you can visit the Government’s Planning Portal here.
Can I save money on my energy bills by installing new windows and doors?
Yes. Old windows and doors and more likely to allow heat to escape from your home, which in turn will increase your energy bills.
Windows and doors fitted with Pilkington K Glass and a Kommerling frame have greater thermal efficiency which should help to reduce your energy bills.
What accessories do Lockwood Windows provide on their windows and doors?
To view the range of accessories available, including door and window handles, door knockers, numbers and letter plates, click here.
What do customers have to say about the Lockwood Window’s service?
Customer service is extremely important to us so we would like to think that we provide a great service, before, during and after the sale. To read some reviews from our customers please click here.
Why should I choose Lockwood Windows to supply my new windows and doors?
There are a number of reasons why we believe choosing us to provide your new windows and doors would be the best choice for you. Here are just a few:
- We are a long-standing family business, trading since 1997.
- We are on the MWCIA Top 100 Registered company list.
- We are registered with FENSA, the BFRC, TrustMark and BuildCheck.
- All products manufactured by us are CE marked for quality assurance.
For more information please click here.